Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Wake UP!


I don't know what to think...what is normal and what is too much sleep for a kid who has been through all this and still recovering from a bone marrow transplant.  It's 2:30 in the afternoon, and Jacob is still OUT cold!
I want to go wake him up, but then what...he's bored out of his mind these days with nothing to do. It's a beautiful day outside, but he can't do all the same things he used to do on beautiful days like this and he has no motivation at all to get out of bed these days.

What the heck...it can't be good for him to sleep this much, can it?  Or, maybe it's what he needs...how the heck do I know? ...never had cancer before & never survived a bone marrow transplant before so I can't say that I know what's normal for him.

I'm just frustrated.

I want him to wake up and do schoolwork, get ahead, study his seminary lesson, clean up his room and it's way past the time he needs to take his pills now.

Hmmm...maybe I wouldn't want to wake up either if I was him.

But, I have to wake him up to take those stinkin' pills.  Have to... so I'm going... now.

1 comment:

  1. This is a comment from the therapist in me... I work with a lot of people who have been through a lot and a lot of people who just want to sleep all day. It is my job to get them out of bed :) I HATE waking people up to do therapy. BUT, it is important for them to get up and moving for a good part of the day. I have had a few patients recovering from cancer...leukemia actually...and they are definitely more tired than most. While rest is a very important part of the healing process, so is activity. Keeping the body moving is so important for it to heal. I would let him sleep some, but if he had a good nights sleep and is sleeping way longer than is "normal" Wake him up and get him moving! That being said, it is also important for him to listen to his body and know when enough is enough. As I'm sure you know, overdoing it doesn't help either. Just send Allie down there to wake him up...she will do the job! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading our story. It means so much to me that people care enough to follow us and share in our journey through Jacob's treatment and recovery. Please know that I read every comment and I treasure every one! I may not have time to comment back, but I will keep writing and sharing our story.

Contributors